- College Start is 100% online, meaning you don’t need to worry about books or any other materials for this program — your Learning Platform is accessible on your phone, tablet, or computer.
Note: Please reference your home page for any special instructions regarding the type of computer needed for exams.
- It may be helpful to have a notebook to take notes — you’ll also be able to print out course materials to highlight if you’d prefer.
- For Math and English courses, it may be helpful to use the free Google Suite (Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.). You can also download your work from Google Suite into Excel or Word files. If you’re more comfortable with Microsoft Office (Excel or Word), we suggest using it for these courses.
Progressing through your courses
- Prior to taking your four program-bundle courses, you must pass an introductory mini-course in the first 10 days of the program. After that, we recommend taking one course at a time. You must complete all of your courses within nine to 10 months after your start date.
- You must earn a 70% or above to pass a course.
- Once you’re enrolled, check with your College Start learning provider to learn about your options for retaking tests or assignments along the way.
- You can’t retake any courses that you fail — if you fail a course, you won’t earn credit for the course, but can still continue with your other courses, finish the program, and transfer earned credits on to your next educational step if permitted by your next educational provider.
Note: Only courses that you pass will show up on your College Start transcript.
Some classes have free tutoring included — once you’re enrolled, reach out to your College Start learning provider to find out more about tutoring options and academic support available to you.
Tips to make the most out of a tutoring session
- Come prepared with specific questions/difficulties — the tutor doesn’t have access to your course so be prepared to share the specifics.
- Plan ahead as you may not be able to talk to a tutor right away and will have to book a session 24 hours in advance minimum.
You may have a different tutor each time, so plan your questions accordingly.