It’s important to set yourself up for success from day one, so we recommend having the following:
- Adobe Flash: Rosetta Stone programs require Adobe Flash programs to load all of the pictures, videos, and voice recordings. This is a free program that you can download directly from the internet. You can get started with this website.
- Equipment: You’ll want a headset with both a microphone and noise cancellation capability to get the most out of your program. You can expect to pay anywhere from about $20 - $30 for a good headset. Active noise-cancellation in the microphone also improves receiving audio in noisy environments such as a public setting or classroom, allowing for more accurate voice recognition. A few great headsets that Rosetta recommends:
- Logitech USB Headset H390
- Koss USB Headset (CS100-USB)
- Mpow 071 USB Headset
- Quiet place to study: To get the most out of your Rosetta Stone program, it’s important to log in every day for 30 minutes. Those 30 minutes (or more) will be the most effective if you’re in a quiet place where you can focus, hear the recordings clearly, and are free to try out all the speaking for yourself. We recommend having a conversation with your family/coworkers/roommates/community about your language learning goals. That way, the people in your life know what you’re doing and why you need the quiet time.