With so many programs to choose from, it’s hard to know how to pick the right one. You can always speak to one of our expert education coaches to help, but you can narrow down the search for yourself as well. We recommend starting with a little reflection to determine where you want to go, followed by a bit of research to determine how to get there.
Your education can transport you. To make sure you’re going to the right place, consider what your strengths are as well as what you most enjoy.
- In a typical day at work, what are the tasks you enjoy doing the most?
- What were your favorite classes the last time you were in school?
- What are you really good at? Hint: sometimes it’s hard to see this answer on your own. Ask your friends, your family, and your manager — what do they think your strengths are?
- What are your values?
- Do you want more financial stability? Are you driven to help others? Do you want a job that provides flexibility so you can spend more time with your family?
- Think honestly about your values, goals, and what it means to be happy. Understanding these essential elements can help you evaluate prospective careers that may be a good fit.
After understanding your strengths and values, research educational journeys and careers that are in line with them. Once you know where you want to end up, work backward to figure out how to get there.
- Find a mentor. Who do you look up to at work? This could be your manager or colleague, or even someone in another department. Talk to them about your goals and seek advice on how to achieve them.
- Who has a job you want? Find people with careers you admire and ask them how they got there.
- Use websites like glassdoor.com, LinkedIn, or your company’s career page to research job titles and salary expectations.
- You can also research careers on Federal Student Aid's website or the need for various jobs with the Occupational Outlook Handbook search tool.
Remember, your education is a journey, not a destination. If you take a few detours on the road to your ultimate goal — we’ll be here to help you navigate. So, consider where you want to go and pick a program that will help you get there. We’ll be here every step of the way.
Want to explore available programs? Get started today by visiting catalog.guildeducation.com.